Sunday, January 13, 2013

Thanks for my wife, God

William Tyndale comments on Genesis 18–25, the making of the woman (emphasis mine):
The New Testament draws much of its teaching on the sexes from this crowning paragraph of the chapter, which is the dynamic, or dramatic, counterpart of 1:27, 28. The naming of the animals, a scene which portrays man as monarch of all he surveys, poignantly reveals him as a social being, made for fellowship, not power: he will not live until he loves, giving himself away (24) to another on his own level. So the woman is presented wholly as his partner and counterpart; nothing is yet said of her as childbearer. She is valued for herself alone.
I am so glad to be married to my wife. Don Filcek in his January 13, 2013, sermon sits on this important point and I found it impacting. He reminds us that woman wasn't made because men are dummies and need to be taken care of or even because the job of stewarding the earth was too much to handle. It was primarily a social need. It wasn't good to be alone (God's observation, not Adam's), and I love how Tyndale saw this: "he will not live until he loves." God is love and his breath in us gave us soul and the essence of our life is His love animating our existence, and the essence of marriage is and sharing of that love, that life. An opportunity to reciprocate life between two equals, caring and assisting each other, being intimate with and knowing another.I love you, Nicole. Thanks for being my side. Thanks for being my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!