Monday, January 3, 2011

Encounter Retreat 2010 - The Young Marriage Question

So...welcome back, myself. Haven't posted since 2009. Shame, shame. Got a good reason to get the gears turning again, however. I just spoke at Miracle Camp's 2010 Encounter Retreat for college folk. It was a good time studying Colossians (4 sessions, 4 chapters, right, ya'll?). During the third session, where we got into some of Paul's more practical day-to-day living suggestions, I opened things up for a question and answer free-for-all. We only got about half way through, but I promised to answer the rest somehow. Thus, my return to the Blogosphere. I won't do them all at once but will answer one to three questions per blog; not two, nor four shall I compose but two, yet sometimes three and at times one shall be my...I'm sorry–couldn't help the descent into a Monty Python reference.

So, to kick it off, an obviously hot topic:

Question 1: How the heck did you get married at 19? And how did you know?
Question 2: You were 19 when you got married, at such a young age how did you know she was the woman for you, a sign from God?

Thanks, person, for the almost-swear for emphasis! Yes, there were times I thought it was crazy, too.

So, how I got married at 19: Step 1 - found a woman, Step 2 - made her like me, Step 4 - refused to be reasonable and asked her to marry me, Step 5 - smiled and nodded as she planned the wedding. Easy as that. Maybe, however that leaves a few important things out, like asking her dad for permission (which I did).

Cuteness aside, I got married at 19 because I felt I found a woman that I could commit to for the rest of my life. No, I didn't get a message from God about Nikki and standing in Zales looking at rings and deciding if I was really going to go through with it was a totally freaky decision, but a decision made on good evidence. We shared the same values, we loved being in each other's company, we were both athletes, enjoyed each other's families, lived in the same area, etc. Nikki actually had a list of 40 some qualities in a husband and I met them all except two: good singer and handles money well. I'm happy to say I'm growing in both, but the idea is that a lot of things lined up. I still had to make a leap, though. It's like sky-diving. You check and double-check your 'chute, but at some point you just have to jump.

When I talked about the idea of marrying Nikki with people I respected, they all thought it was a little soon but didn't think it was necessarily a bad idea. We didn't have much money, but we both "worked" (Nikki had school paid for through a scholarship at Western) and I was a part-time youth director. We also had very supportive family, which made it a lot easier early on and took some of the pressure off of us financially. And personality-wise, we were both mature enough to take the marriage step. Not that we were totally prepared for all that marriage entailed, but the foundation was there. I can't say that's true for everybody (and that's not a slam - it's just reality). So for us, it worked.

That's not to say that part of it wasn't youthful zeal and impatience. I'm not good at waiting, and in this case that's mildly Biblical. It's not Biblical to be stupid, but Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:9 that even though it's better to remain unmarried (for unhindered service to God), if they don't have self-control (which I didn't have much of at 19), let the couple be married so they don't burn with passion. Thank you, Jesus.

A few thoughts for those thinking about young marriage:
  • Marriage doesn't make a relationship better - it puts it through the fire to see if it can last.
  • Marriage makes life easier in some respects (you don't have to drive home every night at 1 A.M.)
  • You will both have a lot of growing up to do (you will change as people and will have to deal with the "you're not the same person I married" scenario, which everyone deals with but more so when you marry young).
  • Money will make life hard (not having it or having it).
  • Not being established in careers will mean big compromises. Be ready to potentially give up some big dreams to stay together.

Overall, I'll say that marrying Nikki was absolutely the right choice. Marriage is one of God's greatest tools for shaping someone's life and character, and if you're going to jump in, just be ready for the chiseling process. The result, if you're up to it, is a thing of matchless beauty.

4 comments:

  1. sweet! i, too, was married at 19! didn't know we had that in common. michael was not as he is four years older than i am and that still hasn't changed....we just celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past july and i've never regretted our "early" marriage. it has played a huge role in my spiritual growth and i am thankful for michael. i'm glad to see you posting again and i look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is step 3? I also wasn't aware that you were growing in your singing... But in all seriousness, another great post. Jessi and I were engaged by 19 years old and I consider myself lucky for finding a suitable partner early on; it's given us that much longer to enjoy all the great parts of marraige.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Step 3, Kevin, is the most important, most essential, never forgettable key to getting married...which due to a mild error by my highly paid editor will remain forever lost in typo-land.

    Thanks for the comments, guys. We young marrieds need to stick together. And what I didn't mention above was my primary motivation for getting married early: I want Nikki and I to be that cool old couple who wins the "who's been married longest?" contest at wedding receptions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post, Kyle. I will say, from someone who is almost in the "Old Maid" category, that there are a lot of blessings to waiting as well.

    I always assumed that I would be married and a mother by 25; now I am closing in on 28 and don't even have a prospective husband in sight. I've struggled with that a lot (as you know) over the years, but as I'm getting older (and hopefully a bit wiser) I realize now that I did not have that emotional/spiritual/mental maturity that you, Nikki, Kevin, and Jessi had at 19 years old. I needed those years alone to figure out who I am and, although it has taken a lot of time to get to this point, I am so grateful that I had that time to do it without the responsibility of caring for a family thrown into the mix.

    Young marriage, obviously, can work and I've always looked to you guys as an example of the type of marriage I want someday. However, like you said, both partners have to be ready to face not only the challenges of young adulthood, but the massive challenge of going through that and still respecting the commitment they made to each other.

    My advice is to trust that God will present those opportunities when His timing is right. I truly think that He did not bring anyone into my life at that young age when I truly wanted it b/c He knew that I was not ready to face that fire yet. I had learning and growing to do, and as He shapes me into the individual He wants me to be, I know that He is working me into becoming one half of an awesome couple that will be able to make exponential strides on behalf of His kingdom. When I'm ready, He'll open that door.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!